Just 15 miles from Downtown Portland and located on the Willamette River near the southern limits of the Portland metropolitan area, Oregon City is the county seat of Clackamas County. Established in 1829 by the Hudson’s Bay Company, in 1844 it became the first U.S. city west of the Rocky Mountains to be incorporated. During the 1840s and 1850s it was the destination for those wanting to file land claims as the last stop on the Oregon Trail. Today the center of the city retains part of its historic character through the preservation of houses and other buildings from the era of the city’s founding. The town is divided into upper and lower areas; the lower area is on a bench next to the Willamette River, and the upper area atop a bluff. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 31,859.