The first part of a new year is one of my favorite times of the year because everything feels new, fresh, and exciting. What better time than now to clean and organize your beloved abode?
Are you ready? Here are some tips to get you started:
- PURGE THE CLUTTER | If this is overwhelming for you, start small with a junk or make-up drawer. Work through one category at a time to stay sane.
- Rule of thumb: if you have not used an item in six months, you probably do not need it. This applies to essentially everything, including clothing, books, kitchen supplies, and more!
- Sell/donate items that are in good condition but no longer fit you/your lifestyle or have overstayed their welcome. That gorgeous prom dress you swear you’ll end up wearing again? Be honest with yourself and donate it to someone that could actually use it!
- ESTABLISH A FIVE MINUTE RULE | Time is a valuable thing, and while we cannot make more of it, we can be more efficient in how we utilize it! If a chore can be taken care of in five minutes or less, just do it. You will get it out of the way and have time to tackle more important projects like making margaritas!
- HAVE A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING | When something doesn’t have a place to live, you will leave it anywhere and will be living amongst chaos in no time. Designate a home for everything from your laptop to your work shoes and ensure the item returns to its home when it is not being used. This may take some getting used to but trust me, it’s a game changer.